Speakeasy Seasoned Salt Potato and Caramelized Onion Soup
Add some unique twists to your potato and onion soup with BOOTLEG Speakeasy Seasoned Salt recipe.
- 2 tbsp butter ghee or butter
- 2 large Vidalia or white onion thinly sliced into 1/4" slices
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 lb Yukon gold potatoes diced into 1" cubes
- 8 cups chicken bone broth
- 2 tsp Speakeasy Seasoned Salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary plus additional minced for garnish
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice from half a lemon
- 4 tbsp chopped chives
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Thinly slice onion into ¼” slices using a sharp knife or mandoline. Set aside.
Heat pan over medium heat; add the butter ghee or butter and allow it to melt. Add the onions and Speakeasy Seasoned Salt to the pot. Stir to coat the onions in the fat.
Saute the onions over medium heat stirring every 5 minutes or so, until the onions soften. Then brown and caramelize. If the pot gets too dry and the onions start to burn and/or stick, add some of the broth to deglaze the pan and keep the onions moist.
While the onions are caramelizing, dice the potatoes and set aside. Leave the skins on, but you can peel if desired. Chop the garlic and herbs, and set aside separately.
Add the chopped garlic to the onions and saute, stirring continuously until the garlic is fragrant (about 1 minute). Add the potatoes, broth, salt, and pepper and give everything a good stir. Top with the fresh rosemary sprig and bay leaf. Increase the heat to high and bring the liquid to a boil.
Reduce to low and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through (approx. 20 minutes).
- Remove the rosemary sprig and bay leaf, then add the lemon juice. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until it is completely smooth. Add additional Speakeasy Seasoned Salt if needed.
Want more recipe inspiration? Check out other BOOTLEG spice recipes.